Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Distant Cousin


The Dayton House has a cousin in Bern, NC.  Gary Rogers found it and sent me pictures.  This house is in much rougher shape than the Dayton House -- but it's also for sale so if you want a fixer-upper, this one is 150K.  It's a smaller house -- this is just what the original section of the Dayton House was built like.  But other than the door being on the opposite side, these could be considered doppelgangers!  Thanks to Gary for sharing.... his wife would not let him buy it.


I work with appraisers and assessors and one gentlemen gave me a tip that if I want to find houses like mine, to look in similar areas -- in our case a block from a river.  He said if I went on these old brick house hunts near rivers, I'd find more examples.  As it turns out, the 218 Front Street is one block from the river!

Here is a more frontal view of the house.  You'll see that only two of the chimneys remain and the roof isn't as steeply pitched as Old Man Dayton's is -- that's the work of the Italianate update. You can see scorch marks on the bricks in the attic of the Dayton House which show where the original roof line fell.  The Italianate update probably came as a result of a fire.

I just love these old piles of brick and will continue to hunt for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment